Palm Trees in southern Florida

Friday, May 3, 2019

Out of Florida...

With Spring arrived, we left Florida.  It was a great winter!

A sea shell on Sebastian Inlet beach

We need to be in Washington state come the middle of July, so we're heading in that general direction, but there are choices! 

The first plan was to travel along the Gulf coast in Texas and hang a right at Mexico, up the border and continue north. There would be sites to see, boondocking spots to check out (plus Whataburger is in Texas!), a long coast with salt water, camping on the Padre Island beach and 
down by Brownsville you're supposed to be able to see the SpaceX stainless test rocket (Hopper) from the road!  Then lots to see before getting to the "Very Large Array" (SETI) up in New Mexico....


There were some other options too, one of them was the Spring SE Vandweller GTG (get together) that was coming up in northern Alabama. This is a gathering where I met my wife a few years back and we have been visiting with friends there every year since then.  

GTG camp 2019, Raccoon Creek WMA
Stevenson, AL

We had maybe spent a touch too long in Florida (Florida was NICE!), but timing does count.  
It starts to get warm in Texas sooner than later, and the social security check only comes once a month.  Not having gotten to Texas in March made the timing for going to the GTG better.

So we went to the SE GTG at Raccoon Creek WMA (Stevenson AL) to hang out, visit old friends and meet new ones.  It's a place for hiking, biking, wildlife, barges on the Tennessee river, campfires, friends and a relaxing time. I thought we could adjust the route and see what's best when the GTG was about up.

The Tennessee River from the GTG 

While sitting around the fire one night someone (Ronda without the "h", maybe?) mentioned a music festival up in Ohio, so I looked it up.  (I have a computer in my pocket, I do that kind of thing). 

Sitting around the campfire

No music but it seems the music festival location has other things going on, plus the location sounded familiar. I had to pull up a map and look, that was really close to the town my great grandfather was born in!  I have relatives buried there (live ones too I understand) and it has been my intention to visit there: it's "on my (places to go) map!"


A side note - my outlook on life changed the day I actually "saw" the grave of my great-great grandparents in Santa Cruz Calif.  That was the moment in time when I KNEW I had great-great grandparents. They were buried there in 1883.  Knowing I had ancestors and actually seeing the graves were (in my mind) two different things.


Samuel and Martha Besse's marker
Santa Cruz, Calif


That is enough of a hint from the universe for me, Ohio is right on the way! Plus that takes us right by the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, that's "on my map" too!

Oh lookee there! Milroy, Indiana is almost right on the way, I want a photo with the sign for that town too.  




Back in the late 1990s, I took the kids to Milroy, Minnesota for a picture by the sign. Everyone needs a hobby.


Dad, Aurora, Brandy (back), Gwendolyn and Ethan
at the sign for Milroy, MN

We're stopped in Georgia now, my wife was from here. We are visiting and doing some medical stuff. As soon as the medical is completed, we will be heading up towards Indiana & Ohio. Some more genealogy in Michigan, a trip up the coast of Lake Michigan, a stop in Traverse City (I retired from the Coast Guard there) and up across the Mackinaw Bridge, then take a left to follow (sort of) US 2 West to Washington state.

Heading west from Georgia





9 comments:

  1. Funny how that works! We never know what to say when someone asks where we're going next. Even if we think we know we're often wrong. :-D

    Will you guys be at the GTG in Tillamook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our plans are written in the sand with a stick, it's easier to change them that way!

      What GTG in Tillamook?

      Delete
    2. I'm a long time fan of Tillamook! The cheese co-op factory should be open again too!

      Delete
    3. I found the Tillamook gathering on the CRVL forum, I'm going to be babysitting the grand kids then ...I think.
      But who knows? :-)

      Delete
    4. If you get a day off come on down. Lots of good people there!

      Delete
  2. I am so envious of your lifestyle, it must be wonderful to have your house with you wherever you choose to go. You can travel to different locations to escape the heat and/or cold or bad weather.

    I would love to know where my great great grandparents are buried would even settle for just my great grandparents. To be able to see the gravesite of your ancestors must be very moving.

    I think it is very romantic that you and your wife return to the place where you met.

    Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time living like this is good, there are occasions where we might want something more.. but for now this is not a bad way to live.

      Until I'd seen the genealogy stuff and could follow the paperwork I never really "knew" that I had great anything. I remembered some grandparents but that was it. Once I saw the paperwork is was getting real but when I actually SAW the grave marker... it was really different.

      It went from abstract knowledge (everyone has great great grand parents) to reality when I saw the marker.

      If you're interested in your history I've learned a bit about my past since I did the DNA thing with ancestry dot com.

      I learned a lot just doing the normal tracing on ancestry. There are other places that don't cost anything where you can research. I get hot on it & spend hours looking, then my enthusiasm goes away...
      If you have some time on your hands & you are curious there are worse ways to spend some time on a computer...

      Going to the GTG is more like a chance to hang out & visit with friends over a campfire than anything else.
      Mind you our meeting there and getting married is usually worth a few jokes doing the each gtg :-)

      Delete
    2. They have a great blues festival in Louisville Kentucky - not sure of the dates but you might want to check it out. My wife and I have been twice and it was great.
      the Ol'Buzzard

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I'll take a look!

      Delete