Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Souvenirs

I was going thru some stuff the other day and came across a cigar box with mementos & souvenirs. After spreading them out & looking at them I realized I had a box of memories. Memories kept in a box... then I thought of my last souvenir.

The last souvenir I bought was a replica Spanish silver piece of eight. I bought it at The Mel Fisher Treasure Museum in Sebastian Florida.  Right after I bought the coin I drilled a small hole in it and put it on my key chain!



The "piece of eight" coin right in front
of the P-38 can opener

This is a reminder of finally making it down to Sebastian Inlet.  It only took me 50 years... but putting this on my keys keeps it in my life rather than in an old box that lives in a cupboard.



The Sebastian Inlet beach I first read of
in a treasure book in 1968

This is not the only souvenir from this winter.  I have a Key West hat and a light blue zippered sweatshirt with a Key West decal ironed on the back!


This is the back of my sweatshirt

Having souvenirs on my key chain means that I see it everyday, it's not put away in a box.


Maybe I'm learning something?




9 comments:

  1. I think putting the replica of the Spanish Silver piece of Eight in your key chain is like a reminder to let you know that you finally made a reality your dream of making it to Sebastian, Florida...and that you can do so with your other dreams and aspirations...may you achieve them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Putting it on key chain makes it part of my life rather than an old memory sitting in a cigar box...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of stickers or patches since they can be displayed without taking up much room but we don't collect anything.
    The piece of eight on your key chain is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Room for stuff is an issue, I generally collect pictures. A photo of a sea shell rather that the shell itself.
      I was very taken with Key West so the decal on the back of the light weight sweat shirt was not a problem, the coin on my key chain was a great idea! I still look at it when I pull my keys out..

      Delete
  4. I really like the vertical format picture of the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a good day.

      Delete
    2. I have things that I have drug around with me for years as we have moved. Each a memory. They mean nothing to anyone but me. But, as you say, each a memory.
      the Ol'Buzzard

      Delete
  5. I think it's nice to have something that helps us to reflect back on some things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I found the old memories in the cigar box and had a smile, then I put the box back.
      I see the replica Spanish coin on my key chain everyday and smile too...putting it on the key ring was a good idea.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment, it's appreciated!

      Delete