Palm Trees in southern Florida

Friday, April 5, 2019

Our time is up for Florida

Tonight is our last scheduled 'reserved night' in Florida and I really don't want to leave.  It has been a good winter! 

A Florida Fish Camp

Florida is the most expensive of the three winter places for a snow bird (Arizona/Calif, the Texas Gulf Coast and Florida).  Spending the winter here with only three month's notice took some planning, luck, some Reserve America fees and cash for all the parks we stayed at.  Some free boondocking, but not much.  I'm not complaining, Florida state parks are great! Worth every penny, every phone call and every reservation fee we had to spend. If you can get your act together 11 months ahead, the state parks are nice. If you have the money for a commercial RV park, there are some outstanding ones. Florida in the winter is worth it.  It has truly been a winter of shorts & flip-flops! 


The beach at Sebastian Inlet 

Then the winter ends & it's time to leave.


We do have somewhere to be, near the Pacific ocean, in 101 days.   We do have a number of places marked to check out on the way to Washington state and the South East Vandweller Get-Together is happening next week.  We have not missed that GTG since 2016 and it's not that far out of our way, so we've decided to go. It's good to see friends there.

But I still don't want to leave Florida. I really can't remember the last time I was someplace I didn't want to leave.

Maybe we'll be back next year?



15 comments:

  1. Man, I miss Sebastian Inlet. Such a great place to fish, and to take a decent ocean boat out, if you don't mind the roller-coaster ride.

    The RV campground up in Cape Canaveral is another great place to reserve at, especially if you know when a launch is/may occur. That and watching the cruise ships and occasional naval vessel. Great place. If you haven't been there yet, there's next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Jetty Park, if you need to know. Great campground for ocean and port watching.

      Delete
    2. I've heard Jetty Park mentioned before, thanks!

      Delete
    3. During winter, the wind can really whip off the ocean, so if you expect not to be cold, yer wrong... :) But it makes up for having a pier where you don't need a fishing license (I think) and lots of boats and access to the Cape, good restaurants close by, and of course, a nearby Publix supermarket. But not too near.

      Downside is it is a working port, so noise can be there, but the howling winter wind will cover it mostly.

      (For those who haven't experienced Publix, think of your favorite supermarket, but CLEAN! And friendly.

      Delete
    4. No fishing licence is a good thing! I'm over 65 & have a Florida drivers licence so I don't need a fishing or hunting licence in Florida...
      Is that a deal or what?

      Delete
    5. A Florida license can also be used to cross into Mexico by land since it meets the requirement of a Real I.D. and you do not have to buy a US Passcard.

      My friend from Florida was also able to bring back more liquor bottles than the one I could bring having a Texas Drivers License. This was a few years back so I do not know if that is still the case for liquor. BTW that bottle I brought back was also for her.

      Delete
  2. As much fun as you guys had I am sure you will be back next year.

    Love the picture of you two, you both have great smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see spending the winter in Florida next year with no problem at all!

      Delete
  3. Yup, It's a great place to be. A touch soggy half the year, but quiet at that time, too.

    There's always next year for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it in mind to walk on these beaches right here since I read the book "Pieces of Eight" back in high school in the late 60's.
      I should have done it sooner! But like you said, "next year"!

      Delete
  4. We spent Jan and Feb this year at Zachary Taylor RV park at Okeechobee for about $800 a month. Its in the lower 1/3 so its warmer, I’m told the fishing can be good. You might want to check them out, if you go look for a sign on a salem trailer that says “ joe and charlie, midland michigan” and stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked being around Okeechobee, the area felt good! If I'm down that way next year I'll keep Zachary Taylor in mind!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like that part of Florida is better than anything Texas has to offer. Makes my $275 a month seem small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida was great but the cost... I liked Texas, the cost was reasonable and it had salt water.

      Delete