Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, March 23, 2019

I Can Get There From Here!

I've lived on islands for 10 years of my life, on three separate occasions... islands where you needed a boat or an airplane to go off the island. I didn't need to go anywhere, I just knew that I couldn't.

This bends my thinking a little. These days I often tell myself, "I could walk there from here." I know I'm not going to, but I could....  Can't walk to an island though.



Papalani St, Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii

Coast Guard Light Station, Point Robinson, Burton Is, WA








As we've been traveling around, we've been looking at places to make a home base. Some of the places have actually been on a canal or close to a boat ramp. 

Coast Guard Air Station, Barbers Point, Oahu Hawaii

So, many times when that has happened here in Florida, I look at the map & realize that, "I could get to Hawaii from here!"  My wife looks at me funny every time I say that... I don't have a boat & I'm not a sailor, but I like the idea of knowing that I couldAs a plus, since FL is the mainland, I could walk most anywhere from here!

Ya, it's dumb but it leaves a smile on my face.

The google map function on my phone allows me to pick how I want to travel, as long as it's not on a boat. So I can check to see if I really can walk there from here... or take my bike!


Key West to Union, Washington on a bike via google maps

We were at the east side of Lake Okeechobee recently, and I pulled out my phone, started the map app, and took a look at where I was. Son of a gun... I COULD get to Hawaii from there!


At the Lake Okeechobee eastern inlet
looking to the west & the Gulf of mexico

From the east looking at the lake Okeechobee outlet
 heading towards the Atlantic Ocean

View from the lake looking east, this will take you too the Atlantic Ocean

It's fun to think that Florida has a boat highway running right through the middle of it!




15 comments:

  1. I thought you were kidding but when I amplified the map I see a cyclist pedaling north.

    However, I do not see how after reaching Union, Washington you are going to get to Hawaii without boarding a plane or a boat.

    Like your new header picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel more possibilities here than I ever felt on an island. Fewer limits.

      The water highway was a great thing to realize! The destination of Hawaii was just because it could be done.
      Riding a bike (or walking) to Washington was another mind game for myself... it's nice to know that I have that option!

      When I go to Washington I'll drive & if I go to Hawaii I'll take a plane like everyone else.

      I just like realizing that I have these options! :-)

      Delete
  2. I would love to live on a sail boat; but my wife is fair skin and could not take the sun.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're camping at the St Lucie Lock and Dam COE campground and there have been some nice looking boats going thru the lock.
      It sure looks like a boating life is an outdoor life. Then again I've seen a sun shades on almost everything.
      I mentioned the Great Loop to my wife, explained what it was and she saw something there... Who knows? Just not this year... :-)

      Delete
  3. OK now I am curious. I have been without a "home base", as I understand what a home base is, since 2002. What is a home base used for? Am I missing something important I need to be doing? All I have is my truck and 20 foot travel trailer and it always seems like plenty for the last 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been chasing information tonight and it seems my legal domicile with the Escapees is all I am legally required to have and I have had that for 20 years. Now I have to find out what a "home base" is?

      Delete
    2. I woke up up one morning in the desert somewhere around Quartzsite some years back. I was in my van, it was a pleasant morning. My first thought was "I want to go home". (I'd never had that thought before nor again)
      I looked around, I remembered where I was, both parked & in life choices. My van was home, I was "home".
      I thought I'd like to have someplace to go if I ever had that thought again.

      There are no rules in this life, if we're lucky we get to do what we want.
      I'm all kinds of lucky! Not 100% but enough that I can say I'm lucky.
      The physical home to go to... it's a personal quirk...

      Maybe the search for it is something to do? I will admit that it's been fun..

      Delete
    3. I realize there are some people who would NEVER think of getting rid of their "stuff", moving into a mobile dwelling and hitting the road.
      It's nice to have choices!

      Delete
    4. Thank you very much for the clarification of what you are looking for. I definitely did not mean any criticism at all. My feeble old mind just got confused. Having a physical location to go home to is not a bad idea at all, especially now. In the last couple of years I have been giving renting a year round spot here on the coast as an "always available campsite". After 12 years full time on the road I am looking more and more at less travel and more just be where it is comfortable. Thank you for your patience with me.

      Delete
    5. I saw no criticism in your remarks Barney, just an honest question.

      The winter I spent in Rockport (actually Lamar on the far side of that long causeway, too far from town for me...I want to be able to ride my bike to the store) there was a couple who had a spot for the whole year & left a travel trailer on it. They commuted with the seasons.

      Things change... 12 years is a long time and you do like Rockport.

      I like Florida in the winter (shorts & a tee shirt!) but who knows?

      Delete
    6. One bit of experience from looking at places as a rv fulltimer. Every place I have had a fondness for seems to make it about 10 years at max before enough change happens to make move to a different level on the "like it list". Mostly it has been too many more folks moving in. Rockport Tx area is a good example. At 7000 folks the area was great. At the current 11000 folks everything is almost crowded. There is a good chance that coming on to 73 years old is making a difference also.

      Delete
    7. During my time in the Coast Guard (21 years) EVERYWHERE I was stationed had visible changes around me due to more people. These were changes I could see in the 2 to 5 years I was there.

      These days when something looks odd to me I always wonder if it's really odd or is it me just getting older?
      In the end it doesn't matter why...it doesn't matter if it is different all that matters is if we like it.

      Delete
    8. WOW that last sentence carries a world full of truth in it.

      Delete
    9. Being happy or as guy I know likes to say "having tooo much fun" is what this is all about.

      Delete