Palm Trees in southern Florida

Friday, March 15, 2019

A Key West bike

When we were on Key West I noticed the bikes there, it's hard not to.


A local with her bike enjoying the day on a pier

I like the Key West bikes. 


Generally a single speed cruiser, with a basket & often a rack. A comfortable looking seat, handle bars you didn't need to bend over to grab & maybe a bell.

Please don't let my enthusiasm lead you to thinking they were all Key West cruisers. Scooters were a big thing, a real big thing.
I saw e-bikes and all the bikes you'd find in any small town. 
I just liked the Key West cruisers.

I saw three types while we were there. There were the rental bikes, generally clean, a pleasant color and the basket on the front carried the name of the company or resort renting the bike.

There were what looked like brand new bikes, I'd guess a lot of them came with the tourists. 

Last but surely not least were the local bikes.  



A local bike with a cup & cell phone holder 

Like the rest, generally a single speed, it's a flat & slow paced place. There is a comfortable seat and almost always a basket on the front, usually a flat rack on the back (often with side baskets, sometimes folding). The handle bars are easy to reach while sitting up, the cup holder is within reach, as is the cell phone holder.
Sometimes the bike comes with installed tubes for holding fishing poles and it's generally rusty. Not super bad rust but I had no doubt the bikes had spent serious time in the Key West salt environment.

There are bike shops too, all over the place. 
Our favorite was Eaton Bikes on Eaton street, they let us borrow bike helmets & had air out back in case you needed it.

I've got a bike. I bought it for less that $10 at a second hand shop.
It lives outside on the back of our RV.  It works.

But now after visiting Key West I have something to reach for!




Mile Zero, Key West Florida.




4 comments:

  1. I like bicycles as well. It has been a long time since I have ridden one. Did you guys stay in Key West?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there for about 3 weeks, we liked it! Laid back, warm & the flowers smelled nice!
      Plus it was a good place for a bicycle.

      Delete
  2. A bike is a great way to explore a place.

    ReplyDelete