Palm Trees in southern Florida

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Broadcast TV & the satellites

The other day we were at a local fair, the "Maine Wild Blueberry Festival" in Union, Maine.




The local fair

It was not huge, it was local. A lot of 4H animals, canning, produce, art, crafts & food, harness racing too!  

A lamb


Harness racing


A midway with the usual rides and games... I found out (again) that my body does not like the rides like it used to!  Maybe I'll remember this time?  


This Ferris wheel is about my speed these days

A rural kind of fair. My wife & I split a bottle of "Moxie", a soda pop that's "distinctly different", an old time New England brand.  It's not often that I run across a new (to me) soda pop.  Yes, it was different.

All kinds of stuff to see at the fair but the one that stood out to me was the lonely guy selling Dish satellite TV. As we walked past he got our attention and asked "who is your current provider?" My wife answered, "Over the air," & I said, "An antenna", he said, "Thanks, enjoy the fair," and sat back down.  It looked like he had time on his hands...

I have to admit that broadcast TV using the antenna that came with this RV is more than enough most places. 



The stock RV antenna on a Maine back road

There are only a few things I care to watch & my laptop with the Hauppauge USB dongle is a TV and a fine DVR, so I can watch what I want, when I want, if I want.

If that's not enough there is the internet.


The MiFi brings the internet

We don't need satellite TV for entertainment... 

Actually, we have books too, both Kindle & real books.


The RV antenna up close




After all that big talk about antennas, just watch me the first time I get the chance for satellite or cable TV !  :-)





4 comments:

  1. You say Moxie was different...in a good way or a bad way? Went to the link you posted to read its origins.

    The Ferries wheel is about the only thing I can handle even when I was younger.

    DISH satellite TV...terrible memories and expensive for what you get.

    Enjoy your stay and the beautiful blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moxie, there was an aftertaste & it was just different. Not bad, just different.
    Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moxie is the official drink of Maine's unwed teenage mothers. It's the key ingredient in a Burnt Trailer, AKA Eastport Panty Removal Syrup, which consists of Moxie and Allen's Coffee Brandy. I spent 4 years making Burnt trailers when I had lady guests at my cabin outside of Eastport (about 2 hrs north of Union, and man, if you get a chance, go, it's beautiful country up there!) in my days as a marine biologist up there.

    Moxie tastes of burnt sugar, Italian seasoning and Nyquil. It's less an acquired taste than a Rite of Passage, like drinking deer blood at your first kill, or being circumcised... but you know, less pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for lesson on Moxie! I'll see what I can do about getting up to Eastport.

      Delete