Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Bread Ties

Every time I go to open a new loaf of bread I grab the tie & start to turn it to the left to loosen it, then stop when I realize I'm going the wrong way!   These ties need to be turned to the right to open it.

A new loaf from the store

I come from a land where "righty tighty - lefty loosey" is king and every time I pick up a twist tie that is on backwards I wonder about it. 


For something different here's a tape 

I went online & looked at bread tie machines to see if there was a reason... that was no help. 

I went and looked to see if anyone else had noticed this & maybe found an answer? 
Sadly, it looks like I'm just another crackpot.


One thing I did learn on my search for "why the ties loosen backwards" was what the color of the tie means. It's a general sort of code for what day the bread was baked.

Blue is Monday
Green is Tuesday
Red is Thursday
Friday is White
Saturday is Yellow


My fascination with this got me thinking about another subject I actually care about, which way the toilet paper comes off the roll.


This question I found had a definitive answer, with US Patent No. 459,516 dated Sept 15, 1891, granted to Seth Wheeler.


Over the front


Getting back to the bread ties...
You can say "clockwise" to tighten.  I suspect there are a lot of people out there in the 21st Century who are not familiar with which direction a clock's hands turn... maybe I should just let that one sit....



7 comments:

  1. I think you have a little too much time on your hands :-D
    but yes, toilet paper must unroll off the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not noticed which way the bread ties unwrapped. I had noticed the different color ties but had no idea each one represented the day of the week in which they were baked. Do they not bake bread on Wednesday? Goes to show you can learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd grab a new loaf & turn the tie the wrong way and wonder why I could't get in... I know about it but still do it..Habit.

      The color thing is a general rule I understand, they can do it how ever they want I guess. I'll never know :-)

      Wednesday & Sunday off I guess?

      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. OK, here is the secret. The machine that twists the tie can be both a right hand or a left hand mechanism. A small hook mounted on a chain driven spindle, does the deed. The RH machine twists right (like a normal screw thread) and the LH twists left. As a great American Paul Harvey use to say " Now you know the rest of the story."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asking the important questions. I know about the colour coded bread ties. Toilet paper should hang from the front. As for the rest . . .

    ReplyDelete