Palm Trees in southern Florida

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Treasure Hunting Dreams




The 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet book by Kip Wagner equals treasure hunting in Florida dreams.

Way back in high school I read a book "Pieces of Eight" by Kip Wagner. It was an early '60s story about a guy in Florida who found a sunken Spanish treasure galleon that sank in a storm in 1715.

The story stuck with me....

Now I'm out and about doing things that interest me & things I've had on the back burner for years.  Walking those Florida beaches 'just in case' a Spanish Real-Eight silver coin has washed up is one of the things I want to do.  My house has wheels.

As this job gets closer to an end I was thinking "what next' & that lead to thinking about that book I read decades ago. The thought that maybe I should read it again crossed my mind... The local library does not have it so I went to the motherload of instant gratification, the coyote's Acme Catalog in real life, I went to Amazon.com!

They had it, it's a collectors item it seems and it's not available as a Kindle (electronic)... bummer. I then went to Abebook.com to see if it was around as a used book & it was!  A few minutes with the key board, debit card & it's on the way! Not "Want it tomorrow?" like on Amazon but soon enough.

It's 1400 miles to the part of A1A in Florida I want to get to and there are a lot of places I'd like to see betwixt here & there. This particular treasure hunting dream has waited 45 years, it can wait a while longer. But now I can read the book again!






Isn't there supposed to be an "X" on the treasure?

3 comments:

  1. Everyone has dreams and you can finally make one of yours come true.

    Glad you were able to find the book you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    Today I was reading up on the Spanish plate fleet that sunk off Padre Island in 1554....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete