Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Treasure Hunting Dreams




The 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet book by Kip Wagner equals treasure hunting in Florida dreams.

Way back in high school I read a book "Pieces of Eight" by Kip Wagner. It was an early '60s story about a guy in Florida who found a sunken Spanish treasure galleon that sank in a storm in 1715.

The story stuck with me....

Now I'm out and about doing things that interest me & things I've had on the back burner for years.  Walking those Florida beaches 'just in case' a Spanish Real-Eight silver coin has washed up is one of the things I want to do.  My house has wheels.

As this job gets closer to an end I was thinking "what next' & that lead to thinking about that book I read decades ago. The thought that maybe I should read it again crossed my mind... The local library does not have it so I went to the motherload of instant gratification, the coyote's Acme Catalog in real life, I went to Amazon.com!

They had it, it's a collectors item it seems and it's not available as a Kindle (electronic)... bummer. I then went to Abebook.com to see if it was around as a used book & it was!  A few minutes with the key board, debit card & it's on the way! Not "Want it tomorrow?" like on Amazon but soon enough.

It's 1400 miles to the part of A1A in Florida I want to get to and there are a lot of places I'd like to see betwixt here & there. This particular treasure hunting dream has waited 45 years, it can wait a while longer. But now I can read the book again!






Isn't there supposed to be an "X" on the treasure?

3 comments:

  1. Everyone has dreams and you can finally make one of yours come true.

    Glad you were able to find the book you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    Today I was reading up on the Spanish plate fleet that sunk off Padre Island in 1554....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete