Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Key West!

It's 9 am, sunny & almost 60 degrees here at Blue Spring State Park in Florida. We left Key West four days back & I have to admit that I do miss being there.

Duval St webcam

Key West is a different place. 

The history, the attitude of the people, the smell of the sea, the flowers, the trees, the coconuts, the boats, the bicycles, the scooters, the houseboats, the chickens, the cruise ships, sunset on Mallory Square... The tourists even add to the place.

I liked it!


Chickens are everywhere




Treasure!


I thought about staying and after looking around at rents and property prices realized I needed to buy a lottery ticket!


My $2 investment in a Key West future!

We were there for a little over three weeks and it then was time to go (we had reservations at other Florida parks).


A Key West bike. Single speed, padded seat,
drink holder and rust


I liked the signs

A side note to 'me' & my Key West fantasy... I spent an afternoon here in '80, the tail end of the Mariel boatlift from Cuba. I was in the Coast Guard and was sent to CG Air Station Miami to help out. A buddy & I drove down on a day off.
All I remembered was the color of the water on the drive down and the people at Mallory Square for sunset. I knew I needed to come back.

Personal note:
Come the 21st century... I was retired from the USCG and working at a warehouse in Washington state. Serious problems in my life (a daughter with cancer), a so-so job that was a 45 minute drive from home in my VW camper and time to think.  During the drive I'd sometimes remember that I had all I needed in my VW & the Navy has an RV park on Key West.  I would put Key West in the GPS (3400 miles, a 54 hr drive),  Jimmy Buffet in the CD player and just dream as I drove.  I always ended up at work...  

Aurora passed in 2011...  and everything changed.  In January 2019 I finally made it to Key West.

The view from the Shipwreck Museum tower



8 comments:

  1. I am glad you were finally able to make it back to Key West. Keep on buying lottery tickets, your $2.00 investment might pay off and make your dream a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the Navy, a radioman in P2V Neptune anti-submarine aircraft, and we were in tents during the Cuban Crisis...
    That is my only experience with Key West.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my first CG Air Station I had a Chief who'd been stationed in Miami in 1960 during all the Cuban excitement. He flew/worked on the HU-16 & had some very entertaining stories from those days.

      Delete
  3. Vancouver weather has not been too bad, only a little snow. But wander fever is coming... For now it's trips to the rv storage and checking on the trailer to see that all is ready for the better weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better weather is coming! Even in Washington!! I used to live in Shelton and spent some time in Vancouver.. I was always happy when the good weather started..

      Have a good spring and thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. That "treasure" looks suspiciously like lead ballast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's silver, with all the sliver & gold around I don't see why it wouldn't be.
      Go take a look, there are a couple of museums from the 1715 treasure fleet wrecks around Sebastian & Sebastian inlet that have more found treasure too.
      I thought seeing it all was great!

      Delete