Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, May 5, 2018

The 100th Meridian

We crossed the 100th meridian in Oklahoma, the line between the dry west & the wet east. There was a sign, the sign came & went fast! No picture....


The 100th meridian is in red on this US drought monitor photo

Even with the drought going on you can tell it's different east of the line.

I joked with my wife about my part of the world (the west) & her part (she's from the east) being different. 

She thinks I'm joking but I think things are (were) different depending on where you grew up, and it's not just having a warm ocean in the summer.

Then again, I think that modern America has been pretty well homogenized by the corporate interests (main stream media & the others) so the regional differences are a whole lot smaller than they were back in 1972 when I took my first cross-country trip as an adult.

The places to eat in northern Georgia are, for the most part, just like the places to eat in Olympia Washington (except no Waffle Houses in the west).  The television is the same, the movies are the same, the newspapers are the same. 

More BBQ in Georgia, fresher sea food in Washington, and you can still find the southern accent in Georgia but it's not like I remember from the early 70's or the early 80's.

We'll be heading towards New England this summer, I suspect it's part of the homogenized new America but maybe I'm wrong?
I'm looking forward to seeing for myself!


Speaking of BBQ ... 
The best pulled pork I've had is just outside of Copper Hill Tennessee, a place called Bradford's BBQ, (the link takes you to a google map). 
Just thinking about the pork piled on the bun, some sauce and a dollop of coleslaw on top of that makes my mouth water!




2 comments:

  1. It just goes to show that one learns something new everyday. I had never heard of the 100th Meridian.

    The first time I ever ate pulled pork was when one of my readers offered me some. It was absolutely delicious but I don't know where they would sell some in this area. Have only seen them in the frozen aisle at HEB.

    Safe travels to New England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it either until we passed the sign. I was bummed the sign came & went so fast... I had to do some reading on it.

      You can make pulled pork in a crock pot, you have to use liquid smoke for the smoke flavor... I usually put bbq sauce on anyway. It is a bit easier in the crockpot than doing in on a round Weber grill but it can be really good from the Weber too!
      I've gone & bought some of the Lloyds pulled pork from the grocery store (sold in the cold case), some coleslaw from the grocery deli and buns to take home & do it myself.
      Sometimes pulled pork is important! :-)

      Delete