Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Cost Of Drinking Water

I'd never really thought about buying water from a machine until we spent some time in Quartzsite Arizona. I'd bought water in those little bottles before but never from a machine.

There were several different machines in Quartzsite and I found that  I liked the Glacier machine water the best. There were machines all over the place, I lived near the Quartzsite General Store so that was the machine I used.

This is about the cost of water. In Quartzsite it was 25 cents a gallon or a dollar for a 5 gallon jug. When we were in New Mexico it was still 25 cents a gallon but a 5 gallon jug was going to cost you $1.25, no discount from the machine in New Mexico. The next time we needed to fill some jugs we were in Alpine Texas, it was 35 cents a gallon and the discount for a jug was gone.

I hadn't seen any water machines in awhile, I'm not saying they are not around, I just didn't notice any until yesterday (I'm in Iowa now). I was walking out of Walmart and down in front I walked by a water machine. I stopped and took a step back to see the price, 39 cents a gallon. I wonder if you pay sales tax on that? I'll check the next time I go in.

I'd wondered what a gallon of water costs when it comes in those little bottles? $3 for a case of 24 bottles is about $1 a gallon.

I don't have any pictures today...

2 comments:

  1. I find that water has been going up quite a bit these past two years.

    I used to be able to buy a case of 24 bottles of water for $1.99 in Houston not anymore! In Del Rio a case is over $3.00.

    When I go to Terlingua I fill up and re-use my water bottles so they can serve as ice and when they thaw out I can either drink them or wash my hair with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little bottles of water are really easy to get used to.. even at $3 a case.

    ReplyDelete