Palm Trees in southern Florida

Sunday, April 22, 2018

A Tale Of Two Holes

Two holes? I'm talking about the Grand Canyon and the Meteor Crater. Yes, I'm back at the Grand Canyon!

The Meteor Crater is a couple of hours from the Grand Canyon. 
Mother Nature took millions of years to make the Grand Canyon and 10 seconds to make the meteor crater. Both are spectacular!

The Grand Canyon 
We were camped in the National Forest, not too far outside Williams, on the road going to the Grand Canyon.  It was a nice place with lots of good spots to park. 
We took the car off the tow dolly & drove the 55 miles to the park. 

The south entrance 

We really should have gone earlier in the day. The line to get into the park was a mile & a half long, and all the parking lots were just about full. When we did get a spot (by the store, bank & post office) the buses were packed. Show up early in the day next time is the answer! This National Park requires $30 a car to get in, but we have the senior pass (Old Farts Pass) so it's free.

We made our way to the edge and I had my look at that magnificent hole in the ground. Wow!  Still "Wow!" after all these visits.  The Grand Canyon is something to see! 
I enjoy seeing the tourists too, and that's a good thing as there were a few (besides us)!

Photos never do the Grand Canyon justice.
In my opinion it's always worth the trip just to see it.
Even to see it again!

They had a water emergency going on at the South Rim because of some broken pipes. I was unable to use their fine coin-operated showers, refill my water bottles or get a drink.  Oh well. 

But I got to see the Grand Canyon ... I enjoyed the day!


The Meteor Crater
The next day we packed up & headed east on I-40. Before you get to Winslow Arizona you need to pass the Meteor Crater. The Crater is 6 miles to the south of I-40.  It's owned by a private party and (like most other things) costs to get in. $18 for a regular & $16 for a senior. Free parking. No drinking water available, besides a $2 vending machine (but you can bring your own). 


Walkway by the entry side

But the Crater is something to see! 

The crater was too big to get a good shot.
Just Wow!

The impact happened 50,000 years ago and the rock was 160 feet across and made of nickel-iron. They said it went well into the ground then exploded, leaving the crater.  The crater is 4,000 feet across and over 500 feet deep.


The visitor center is off to the left

Most of the meteorite broke into very small pieces that were scattered everywhere in the area or vaporized. The large pieces on display there broke off before the impact.

We took the one hour tour, it was free & the guide was really good.  It wasn't until 1961 that they were able to prove that this crater was made by a meteorite, it was a good story.

The Crater was too big to get it all in my phone camera at once.

It's worth every penny of the $16 to see that crater, nothing like it in the world.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of people at the overlook in Grand Canyon. Our last visit was in early April - a bit cool and rainy but not crowded. We stayed at a great spot from freecampsites - 35.95961, -111.9583.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a few people but they were fun to watch. As a plus I get a kick out of hearing the different languages.

      You guys were camped back in there! I once followed the forest roads and came to the fire tower before going into the park on the road that runs along the rim. Nice country indeed!
      I stayed where I could walk to the bus to go into the park the time before this visit :-)

      Delete
  2. The Grand Canyon is in my bucket list. Do not remember if I have ever heard of The Meteor Crater but it certainly looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 1000 miles from Del Rio & you go right past the Meteor Crater!
      I'm one of those people who I always ready to say "go for it!" when talking about visiting the Grand Canyon.
      Nothing quite like it...

      Delete