Palm Trees in southern Florida

Friday, September 11, 2015

Eugene Oregon

I found myself in Eugene Oregon for a while with not much to do.

I'm not a city person, but I am trying to expand my horizons, (in my last posting I sounded like a low rent food critic) so... after spending some time this summer in the old downtown of Flagstaff Arizona (and enjoying it) I thought I'd walk thru down town Eugene & see what I thought!

I followed the signs "Downtown" they had on the freeway. Was this "the" downtown I was looking for? No idea really...
I parked ($1/hr Mon-Sat till 7pm), paid my dollar and went walking.

The place did not grab me like Flagstaff did,  it reminded me a lot of Olympia Washington.

wall murals 

 And

street people hanging out in the park

 Very pretty parts, a sculpture of Ken Kelsey & his grandkids right next to a Voodo doughnut shop.

I did try Voodo's bacon/maple bar this time, $3 worth of maple bar with 2 strips of crunchy bacon on top. It was a doughnut with bacon on it... I shared the bacon with the dog.

There were a lot of places to eat, places to buy used clothing, places to get a tattoo.

I did wonder about the shop's name...
There was even a building on a corner with small & tall locked cages outside, there were signs in all the windows saying "No Trespassing", No Loitering" and even one giving a dictionary definition of "loitering". There was were no signs identifying what the building was.
The cages are along the wall to the right in this picture

I saw no book stores, no outdoor/bike shops, no gun shops and no Laundromats. I did find the government (if you've ever wondered).
with an additional sign explaining how it works

I found zombie preparations




50 minutes after I arrived I got back in my van & drove back to my daughters place.  She lived in a an apartment, in an area full of apartments but an area with walking paths and ponds with fountains and a creek or two. Very nice.

Tomorrow we'll go into Portland, she's never been to Powell's City Of Books.


2 comments:

  1. Those cages might have been bicycle day storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would work! Stand them on the rear tire & have all your bike there when you came back.

      Delete