Palm Trees in southern Florida

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Unintended Break

Wow, it's been all month without a new blog.
Then again no one in my life died this month but it was close, real close.  911 has been dialed twice.

It's been that kind of month and it's been hard for me to talk about what I observed.
So I just didn't talk.


On to more pleasent things...

That's a grand flower!
Scale

I cannot get enough of the Grand Canyon. Photos do not do it justice, the scale IS (almost) more than my senses can deal with. I come to marvel at it, I'm sure the first visitors bitched about having to deal with it.
Maybe the next time I come I'll try dealing with it, I'd like to go down and see that suspension bridge up close.

Grand canyon trails
More trails

I saw "Four Corners" up close, it had rained and there was mud, tourists and souvenir stands.
Four Corners mud

four corners marker






The Navajo National Monument offered free camping and this view of a pueblo that was occupied for just 50 years. There was a hike that takes you down too the abandoned buildings.


They only lived there 50 years

I spent some of the month in Flagstaff Arizona. I doubt if fate had not intervened that I would have even seen the town for what it is, a very pleasant small town!
How Flagstaff got it's name


 The trains that go by, I like to stand close and feel the energy thru my toes. Almost as good being on the beach with big waves crashing or standing in front of a C-130 on the long wire with all four engines running... you can 'feel' it.

A splendid old section of town with a nice mix of outdoor stores, eateries, bars and collectable shops most of brick & sandstone. Local people & tourists with a variety of languages for your listening pleasure. I actually saw an outstanding gun shop & a dive shop on one street, it had been some time since I went in to a dive shop...a nice place.

Flagstaff dispersed camping

Water, can't do without it













This is a world famous tourist spot and well as a college town. It was not hard to find a parking spot and the walking around the old part of town was not difficult. Flagstaff is nice, not perfect.


The frames were locked

I'm a sucker for a VW bus and farmers markets. There were a lot of VW campers around!
A 70's VW camper in a parking lot

Sunday farmers market in Flagstaff

I took a quick tour along the scenic highway 12 in Utah (124 miles) with an overnight stop at Kodachrome Basin State Park. Bryce Canyon and other spectacular scenery, way too much to take in. You could spend a season here just looking, walking and taking pictures.





The month of June was an overload on so many fronts and I ended up back in Washington state. I keep leaving Washington and then some damn reason or another brings me back...
I have high hopes for July!

4 comments:

  1. My Dad worked out of Flagstaff and Winslow when I was a small boy. Your photos make me want to see those places again. If I make it that far I'd head on up to Blanding, Monticello, Moab, Green River and Price. All little towns we lived in as my father did seismograph work in the 50s.

    Sorry to hear yall are have medical problems.

    later,
    -Moe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you had such a difficult June.

    Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete