Palm Trees in southern Florida

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sugar

The other day at the amusement park I watched a group of girls go by, I suspect they were of Jr high - middle school age. They all had candy, those large tubes of colored sugar.
All the girls had more than one tube and these are 18"-24" long with a good sized diameter.
I thought back to the affect a large amount of sugar had on my kids and was glad I wasn't on the bus for that ride home.



My next thought was of the "60  Minutes" segment I'd seen on sugar, it appears to be a highly addictive drug with some other serious health risks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n29ZIJ-jQA


I made spaghetti sauce from canned tomatoes & spices the other day, after I got it warm I checked it to see if the spices made it bitter.
Turned out it was sweet!
I'd used diced "Italian" tomatoes, when I looked at the can there was the sugar.
A lot by the taste.

That's when I thought of those girls with the sugar tubes the other day.
 
I had a spoonfull of sugar in my oatmeal today....



2 comments:

  1. We use agave nectar here. There is no sugar in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit, I'm addicted to sugar but hubby and I are trying to temper those cravings. Scary how bad it is for us.

    ReplyDelete