Palm Trees in southern Florida

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tee shirts & tackle shops



I just finished a week of running a carousel in an amusement park, it's the first ride you see when you come into the park and the last ride you pass by on your way out.



Our ride has plastic horses, two sleds and travels clockwise. From hitting the "go" button until it stops is 2 min and a few seconds.

Carousel's have an interesting history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel and have been around for a really long time. One lady did stop to explain the difference between a "Carousel" & a "Merry-Go-Round", her opinion was that it's the animal, a carousel has horses & a merry-go-round has other animals. I took a look and that is not a universally held belief, some claim it's the direction of travel & most use the names how ever they want.

The people who ride it are the interesting part of the job
Kid's love it, some a lot. I'm able to talk a lot of older people on to it by asking "when was the last time you rode?" and they all enjoyed it. Some folks will not deal with a ride that goes around in circles, just won't do it.

This brings me around to tee shirts, I saw a lot of them the last 6 days & something stood out. There was ONE day where there were more "Duck Dynasty" tee shirts than Harley-Davidson tee shirts ... For all I know it could have been a bus load of Duck Dynasty fans in the park for that day but it was clearly a favorite. The big winner in tee shirt themes (overall) here is "Iowa", a lot of variations (with schools, clubs & towns) but the state name is popular.

I could talk about tattoos & piercings but I'm not really sure what to say about them other than there are a lot out there. I'm running a roller coaster this week so I expect a slightly different group of people with no one under 42"!

Last night we went out to eat at "Buck's Fish Bowl & Grill" attached to the Bass Pro Shop ... An interesting name choice, I saw why when we went in. It was different, there was a bowling alley, a bar, pool tables & a restaurant all in the same place, the food was good too!
After eating my spouse wanted to look for more swimming attire so we went into the store itself. FWIW on the 1st of July in Iowa they had swimming suits on clearance, I went to look at fishing stuff.

At the OFM's blog he was talking about the lack of fresh water fishing tackle on the Texas coast, he wasn't surprised. Last night I found out why there isn't any on the Texas coast, it's all in Iowa. Aisles & aisles of fresh water tackle.

Bass Pro Shop in Altoona Iowa

Bass Pro Shop in Altoona Iowa




People run to be the first on the Space Shot

I've eaten more fried chicken in the last 3 months than the last 20 years 



2 comments:

  1. Never considered the difference between a carousel and a merry-go-around thought they were one and the same.

    Wow, you are right Iowa has all the freshwater fishing gear that the coast of Texas stores are lacking!

    I love fried chicken...yum yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One and the same was my call too.

    A guy at work had a picture of a 13# catfish he caught off a bridge in downtown Des Moines...

    ReplyDelete