Palm Trees in southern Florida

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Hard Luck Crossing, New Mexico

The RTR is over, so we've moved closer to town. 

The RV show in Quartzsite has started, this draws the people. 
I like the show! All shapes & sizes of RVs and people are both here in the desert, and in town where everything is for sale. 

The RTR ended with Burning Van, it's a cardboard van that people write on, not a real van as several called in to BLM to report. 



Burning van!

The van burning tradition started 3 years back & comes with a song. I didn't remember it but they had a copy. There was a talent show before the closing, and there are some really talented people here!  All in all, I had a good time & the size that the RTR has grown to did not affect the vibe I got from the people there.

At the big RV show tent on the second day (not as crowded), we talked to the folks hiring workcampers for Adventureland (I'd worked there twice), the Sugarbeet Harvest, and the people looking for workers at the Grand Canyon. I looked at what the four companies hiring camp hosts had to offer, and said hello to the Amazon camperforce recruiter.

We went shopping too! A new & bigger mat for our front porch, ice cream cones & a really good Gyro! We passed up lots & lots of stuff & saw great ideas for a couple of things. It was a very successful show visit.

We went across the border to Blythe California to look around to see what's changed since I was there last. Gasoline was a dollar more than here in Arizona!  Smart & Final still had those fine rotisserie chickens and more shops were closed.


About Hard Luck Crossing -

I was looking on a map of New Mexico, I was trying to locate the Very Large Array (radio telescope collection) to put on my "To-Do map" (VLA has tours the 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month), and noticed a town called "Hard Luck Crossing" in New Mexico.

I went to the internet to find out how it got that name and struck out! Now I'm going to have to go to Hard Luck Crossing and find out, maybe there will be a plaque? Maybe someone at the local diner will know? Wanting to find out is a good enough reason to go take a look! I put it on the "
To-Do" map!


We will be heading towards Yuma for some of the BLM camping, warmer weather, and a trip to Los Algodones, Mexico for the dentist, glasses, prescription drugs, lunch & to try out our passports!




7 comments:

  1. HWY 52 to the east of the VLA actually crosses one of the RR tracks and goes up into some verrrry pretty boondocking country as it goes up the mountains. That area is full of free camping areas. In fact NM is full of free camping all over the place. I love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time. I liked the idea of a "cardboard burning van"...giving Burning Man a run of its money :)

    Looking forward to your trip to both Hard Luck Crossing as well as Los Algodones, Mexico.

    I do not know if you know her but Shadowmoss also attended the RTR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Shadowmoss but there were a LOT of people there, I found out later that some acquaintances of mine were there but I never saw them or knew it..

      Delete
  3. Did you get the full fledged passport or did you opt for the cards? Just curious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both have the full Passport but the last time I went into Mexico I used my "enhanced" Washington state drivers licence, worked with no problems at all.
      My new Florida licence is enhanced too, it has the star in the upper right hand corner.

      Delete
    2. I got my full fledged passport right after I read "Ancient Rome on five denarii a day" by Philip Matyszak" so I could go to Europe and see Rome.
      That was a few years back, I haven't made it to Europe yet but I am in Yuma :-)

      Delete