Palm Trees in southern Florida

Monday, October 2, 2017

Sugar beet? What's a sugar beet? Or where did I put that alarm clock?

I'm back to work... it'd been what? Two years? It's tough being retired!

Then not just any job but a 12 hours a day, 7 days a week until the harvest ends job. In North Dakota.  The sugar beet harvest. 



A small sugar beet

Express Employment Professionals hired me to work for the American Crystal Sugar Company... They had a booth at the Quartzsite RV show, they have an on-line site & they hire people right here.



A beet piler making a sugar beet pile
That's what we do 12 hours a day

We're here. 

The Drayton,ND campground. Real close to the Drayton yards
(steam in the background). A bit farther from some of the other
piler locations, I'm just under 20 miles away.
Nice showers & an acceptable TV/internet room

They have several campgrounds, we're at the one in Drayton ND at a park built for the harvest. I've always been a sucker for free rent.


The money is good... or can be. It all depends on the weather & the harvest. The first 8 hours are regular time the next 4 hours of that day are overtime.  All 12 hours on Saturday are time & a half, all 12 hours on Sunday are double time...but if it's too hot or too cold or too wet there is no harvest so if those days come on the weekend you lose.


I have to admit that having that alarm go off at 0500 took some getting used to, 12 hrs on my feet was something my feet had to get used to.

I'm enjoying it...



Dressed for work with vest, safety glasses & hard hat

The harvest was going to start on October 1st at a minute after midnight but it was moved up a day. So I get to run a beet piler station all night long starting starting a day early!




4 comments:

  1. Working on a harvest any type of harvest I am told is very hard work.

    Twelve hours a day, seven days a week on your feet after you have not worked in a while is admirable. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work is ok (so far) it's the over night part that's getting me, well I guess it's the day sleeping part actually :-)

      Delete
  2. My son is working a project in North Dakota, oil related. I bet he will be back home here in Texas before it gets cold up that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The harvest is only a couple weeks long, I plan on being somewhere else when the cold come too!

      Delete