Palm Trees in southern Florida

Friday, June 5, 2015

Grand Canyon




That's the Colorado River making the Grand Canyon deeper
I am dispersed camping just outside the south entrance to Grand Canyon National Park. With the “America The Beautiful Pass” I get in for free! The camping is free! 
Ten pounds of ice on the other hand is going to run you $4.49 and if you like ramin noodles it would be worthwhile to bring some with you or more money.
Bread is reasonable!

I was going to write about Las Vegas , dispersed camping , hot weather and cold water but I can’t. 
The Grand Canyon IS bigger than life.

I arrived here, checked out the first camping area I came to (FS 688, it was on the POI list I down loaded to my Garmin GPS) & saw camping would not be a problem, it even had a toilet!   

Toilet in the woods!


FS 688 area
Then I went to look at the Canyon. How many times can you say “Wow!” in a day? It is bigger than life.



One of my first thoughts as I sat on a bench admiring it was I wonder what the first person who was heading east (or west) thought. Coming thru the trees, maybe following a deer or elk trail  and then getting to the edge… Oh wow! That’s going to take a bit of work to cross.
Driving down I-5 in southern Oregon, where you get to the top of a pass and you can see 6 or more separate mountain ranges in front of you would give you that same feeling if you were traveling on foot.

Today I went to the see the movie at the visitor’s center, about 20 minutes and worth it. 
Then I started walking the rim trail. It’s 17 miles long but there is a free shuttle bus so you can stop and get a ride back to where you left your car. My only problem with that is they don’t allow dogs on the bus & I have a dog… Today I walked from Mather Point to Bright Angle Lodge, and back. A couple of miles maybe, each way. I plan to take it in chunks & see how much of it I can walk.

I have noticed that at times I am short of breath, we are almost seven thousand feet high, I think it's the altitude … and I had an odd urge to go down to the bottom of the canyon just to see what it looks like from down there.
Why is it odd? I KNOW that if I go down there I will have to come back up, that’s a long walk back up!
My camping gear is not set up for that kind of trip (I’d have to spend at least one night down there) and I have the dog. Dogs are not allowed into the canyon. That’s a reason for another trip here.. like I need a reason to go to the Grand Canyon!

Dinner
 The other thing here at the national park is the people, I heard so many different languages today! It's even better than Chicago!


As a side note to the dispersed camping on national forests…
At the ranger station in Tusayan (just outside the south gate) you can pick up a free “Motor Vehicle Use Map” that shows you the forest service roads. These are great maps & you can pick them up for whatever national forest you are visiting, just watch for the local ranger station.


10 comments:

  1. Do they still have the mule rides? I rode a mule to the bottom, had lunch and rode back up to the top.fell in love with an Australian girl! great time long ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the mules in the corral so I'd guess they still do that.
      You're a brave soul Mr Rat those trails look skinny!

      Delete
    2. I saw the mules in the corral so I'd guess they still do that.
      You're a brave soul Mr Rat those trails look skinny!

      Delete
  2. I have been close to the Grand Canyon but never stopped there. That glass floor skywalk they built would be something to walk out on. Have you been to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grand Canyon is really worth the time. It is bigger than life.
      During my walk today I kept saying "wow!". It was the only word that would fit.
      The glass walk way is in a different part of the Grand Canyon, not the park. I've never seen it but I'd like to.
      Some of those ledges today were cheap thrills but I'll bet nothing like a glass floor!

      Delete
    2. The Grand Canyon is really worth the time. It is bigger than life.
      During my walk today I kept saying "wow!". It was the only word that would fit.
      The glass walk way is in a different part of the Grand Canyon, not the park. I've never seen it but I'd like to.
      Some of those ledges today were cheap thrills but I'll bet nothing like a glass floor!

      Delete
  3. Most of the Vehicle Use Maps are online also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Grand Canyon is in my bucket list. Thanks for the pictures and your description of the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos just don't do it justice, the scale is way too big. IMO it's one of those places worth the trip.

      Delete